Readings by Topic
What is Family Engagement? How do you do it?
- Epstein Summary: Six Types of Engagement and Examples
- Dual Capacity-Building Framework Article: Building Dual Capacity for Family-School Partnerships (2013)
How can schools support families of students with disabilities?
What are the benefits of Family Engagement for Schools and Families?
- Flamboyan Foundation – 2 pager on Outcomes of Family Engagement
- Scholastic Family Involvement Summary
- Wood & Bauman 2017 How Family-School-Community Engagement can Improve Student Achievement and Influence School Reform
- Van Voorhis, et al. Article: Family Engagement’s Impact on Grades/ All Families Have the Capacity to Support their Children’s Success (2013)
What mindsets promote successful Family Engagement?
- Article by Paul Gorski on Re-examining beliefs about Families in Poverty, and Developing Equity Literacy
- Article by Kathleen Hoover-Dempsey and Howard Sandler on Why Families Become Engaged
Free Family Engagement Course with many recommended readings:
Our team’s review of the HarvardX course on Family Engagement: