Ohio’s Literacy Initiative
As part of the Ohio Literacy Initiative, our team has developed Partnerships for Literacy(P4L) in collaboration with The Ohio Department of Education’s Office for Exceptional Children and the Lau Resource Center for English Learners. We are training Ohio’s regional Family Engagement Leads to go into Ohio school districts to support school-family teams in completing an inventory of practices in the area of Family Engagement for Early Language and Literacy and developing action steps to include in their School Reading Plan. By clicking the button to the left, you can access links to documents in the P4L series.
Professional Development for Teachers
- Our team at The Ohio State University offers professional development for teachers tailored to grade level or other specific interests and needs.
- We are currently leading a course for Pre K – 3rd grade teachers in Ohio entitled Partnering with Families to Support Early Literacy. Currently in its third year of implementation, this course provides teachers with hands-on experience learning about communicating and developing trust with families. This course was offered for the first time in 2016-2017 in Southern Ohio, and was offered in 2 Ohio regions during the 2017-2018 school year (Mansfield and Massillon, OH). It is being offered in Mansfield, OH in 2018-2019.
- We have incorporated a research study to assess how this course shifts attitudes, beliefs, and practices.
- “Partnering with Families for Early Language and Literacy Development: Research-based Strategies for Early Childhood Teachers”
- A report by the Global Family Research Project that is a great companion to our report above: “Seven Research-Based Ways That Families Promote Early Literacy”
- Check out our infographic aligning what schools do to support early literacy at home and how this connects with what families do.
- Family Engagement for Early Literacy Rubric Email feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Family Engagement for Early Literacy Practices – a document full of examples to accompany the rubric.
- Literacy Today Article by Dr. Boone: “Sharing the Joy: Supporting Early Literacy with Families”
- We recently presented at the Institute for Educational Leaderships 2018 National Family and Community Engagement Conference in Cleveland, OH! Our session, Shifting Attitudes and Efficacy Beliefs about Partnering with Families Through Teacher Professional Development. Handouts: Shifting Attitudes Slides Active Listening Bookmark Active Listening Bookmark (Spanish) Partnering with Families to Support Early literacy Syllabus
For more information, contact us at email@example.com.