Welcome to the Fairfield County 4-H Youth Development Program!!
We are excited that you want to join 4-H in Fairfield County. 4-H is a non-formal educational, youth development program offered to individuals age 5 and in kindergarten to age 19. Ohio 4-H youth development reaches more than 240,000 youth each year – helping kids “learn by doing” through hands-on activities.
Traditional clubs are open to youth age 8 and in 3rd grade or age 9 up to youth who have not passed their 19th birthday as of January 1st. Youth who are age 5 and in Kindergarten up to 8 years of age as of January 1st are eligible for participation in the Cloverbud Program, an activity based program to introduce 4-H to future members.
When is the best time to join?
The best time to join 4-H really depends on the club’s meeting schedule. Try to contact the club in the winter or early spring so you can make your decision prior to the enrollment deadline which is May 1.
How to decide which club is best for your family?
1. Look for a club that meets in a place where you are comfortable.
2. Select a club that meets during the times which work with your family’s schedule.
3. Find a club that accepts members within your child’s age range. Cloverbuds must be at least age 5 and in Kindergarten as of Jan 1. Project members must be at least age 8 and in 3rd grade as of Jan 1.
4. Decide what kind of projects (non-animal, animal, sewing, shooting sports) your child plans to take and find a club that accepts those kinds of projects.
5. Contact the advisor for more detailed club information. Ask about participation/attendance requirements, club dues and fundraising
6. Ask what kind of involvement or participation the club expects from the parents.
7. Set up a visit to a club meeting or jump right in. Have fun and enjoy your 4-H Club experience.
What club should I join?
Learn about the clubs in Fairfield County here. After looking at the club biographies, reach out to that club’s advisor in order to get more information!
Join us at 4-H Day!
4-H Day is held the first Saturday in March from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. at the AAA Building at the Fairfield County Fairgrounds. Current 4-H members will display their projects and be available to share information about their 4-H experiences. Information about specific clubs will be available as well as the opportunity to join 4-H.
Ready to Sign Up?
1. Look over the project areas: The Family Guide is a listing of the 4-H projects offered along with a brief description. Project Central is another resource. This will show you the first few pages of each project book as well as provide you with any reviews that have been made by 4-H members that have completed the project. And, you are more than welcome to stop by our office to look over project books to see if there are any that interest the kids for next year. Some (photography is a good example) take more time than others, and anyone can purchase any of our publications.
2. Indicate your interest by completing the online information request at go.osu.edu/Fairfield4Hinterest before March 1st.
3. Contact the advisors of the club you’re interested in to find out when they start meeting and attend their club meetings.
4. Once you have decided to join 4-H, found a club and decided on projects, you need to enroll. Make sure you enroll for all of your projects through 4-H Online by May 1st! Directions for online enrollment can be found here.
Have additional questions or need more information?
Visit our website at fairfield.osu.edu or Call our office at 740-653-5419!