Did you know any 4-H/FFA youth can participate in the State Fair skillathons? Skillathons are events for youth to show what they know about a species and to be recognized for their knowledge and skills. All Skillathons are open to any Ohio 4-H member, age 8 and in the 3rd grade, or 9 years old and older regardless of grade level, to age 18 as of January 1, 2021, and FFA members. Youth do not have to be an exhibitor at the Ohio State Fair to participate or be enrolled in an animal project. Want more information? Click here!
Dates for Ohio State Fair In-Person Skillathons are listed below. You do not need to register in advance…just show up!
- Horse: Wednesday, July 22, 10:00am – 3:00pm, Voinovich Livestock Center Mezzanine (2nd floor)
- Rabbit: Friday, July 30, 10:00am – 2:00pm, Rabbit/Poultry Pavilion
- Dairy Cattle: Monday, August 2, 12:00 – 4:00pm, Voinovich Livestock Center Mezzanine (2nd floor)
- Poultry: Wednesday, August 4, 4:00pm – 8:00 pm, Rabbit/Poultry Pavilion
- Swine: Thursday, August 5, 9:00am – 1:00pm, Voinovich Livestock Center Mezzanine (2nd floor)
- Sheep: Thursday, August 5, 3:00pm – 7:00pm, Brown Arena Wool Room
- Goat: Friday, August 6, 9:00am – 12:00pm, Voinovich Livestock Center Mezzanine (2nd floor)
- Beef: Friday, August 6, 1:00 – 5:00 pm, Voinovich Livestock Center Mezzanine (2nd floor)
By participating in an Ohio State Fair Skillathon, this will meet the Skillathon requirement for 4-H and FFA youth to exhibit at the 2021 Fairfield County Junior Fair. As a reminder, Skillathons will continue in 2021 as a required portion of project completion for livestock projects. Fairfield County Skillathons will be offered for all beef, dairy, goat, poultry, rabbit (except Pet Rabbits), sheep, swine, dog, horse, alpaca/llama projects. Skillathons may include (but are not limited to) animal anatomy/body parts, breeding and reproduction, feeds and nutrition, current events, diseases and animal health, equipment ID, feed ID, Quality Assurance, breeds, marketing, meats, and recordkeeping. Skillathons are required for those who wish to exhibit at the 2021 Fairfield County Junior Fair. Youth must complete at least one Skillathon. Youth can participate in more than one species if they intend to participate in the Premier Exhibitor for that respective species. For more information: Refer to Junior Fair Book. Fairfield County Skillathons will be held on September 11th and 12th at the Fairfield County Fairgrounds.