Youth interested in applying for the 2018 Youth Conservationist Program must be between 9 and 18 years old and submit an application postmarked by April 1, 2018 that includes:
- An essay which introduces you and your experience with animals. Your essay should explain your interest in sheep and
answer the question: “Why I would like to help preserve a heritage breed of sheep.” If for any reason the animal will not
be kept at your own home, please explain in detail where it will reside and what exactly your responsibilities will be.
- The applicant should indicate if they wish to be considered for a particular breed or for any of the breeds available.
- Each applicant must include a letter of recommendation from their 4‐H advisor, FFA advisor, veterinarian, teacher or
- The total application/essay should be no more than 2 pages in length.
- The application must include address, phone and if available, email address. Interested young people should contact
Elaine for an updated list of breeds available, then submit their letter of application/essay to: Elaine Ashcraft, 46118 CR
58 Coshocton, OH 43812.
- ALL ESSAYS MUST BE MAILED. EMAILED ESSAYS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!
Requirements if selected:
- Must be present to receive the ewe at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival on Sunday, May 6, 2018.
- Must exhibit the ewe at least twice in 2018 at: 1) a county fair or local sheep show and 2) the State Fair in the state
where the recipient lives.
- Must breed the ewe to a registered ram (of her breed) in the fall of 2018, should consult the donor breeder for their
- Must either use the ewe’s fleece to personally make a wool item or sell the fleece to a spinner, felter or weaver.
- Must submit an article, the following Feb/Mar to their local newspaper covering their year and including information
concerning the next year’s YCP program.
- Must submit a scrapbook to the Donor Breeder by April 30, 2018 and provide a scrapbook to be used at the Maryland
Festival which is then given back to the youth.
Any questions please contact Elaine Ashcraft 46118 CR 58 Coshocton, Ohio 43812 by phone at (740) 622‐1573 or by email at email@example.com (please note the underscore between “tankewe” and “cr58”). Donors select the recipients from the essays submitted by the youth.