Making a life by what you give

You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give. As Director of Development for Ohio State University Extension, this notion is in the forefront of my mind daily as I match philanthropic passions with Extension initiatives. In my work, I foster conversations with individuals and organizations with a desire to impact the future through their contributions to Extension. Carrying out this mission since coming to OSU last June, I have found my work to support the “Give to CD” Campaign to be very rewarding.

But for Ohio StateMy thoughts and opinions about CD were formed at an early age; growing up with parents actively engaged in their community in Perry County (my mother a school administrator and father a community development practitioner). When I think about Community Development, “self-help” and “collaboration” come to mind. In the past and still today, community members cooperate in building schools, churches, parks and other community institutions. They believe that working together is necessary to make community improvements. Then and now, folks invest in their own community to improve infrastructure, address gaps in services and meet local needs. And since its earliest beginnings, OSU Extension has been a key component of these community partnerships.

In the future, the success of our Ohio communities can and will coincide with the investments made in Extension by a variety of partners willing and able to give of their time, money, assets, expertise and other resources. Specifically in Extension CD, we look to gifts that help to offset the costs of professional development and recognition for our employees and retirees. Thanks to foresight by CD professionals a number of years ago, Extension CD endowment and support funds are in place to accept donations for this purpose.

If you are interested in learning more about our development initiatives, please feel free to contact me (winnenberg.8@osu.edu or 614-247-7606) or visit the CD Web page to learn more about the “Give to CD” Campaign.

(Submitted by Emily Winnenberg, Director of Development for Ohio State University Extension, College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences)