Day 10 London

Today was our last day of programming in London. I can’t believe it!  We had a very busy day and saw three different museums. First, we went to the British Library. This library was absolutely fascinating. We learned about the King’s room where the Queen comes to read different books. This room is bullet proof and equipped to keep the Queen safe and in private. At the British Library there are also exhibits. Many of the items in the exhibits are sacred texts and founding documents from various countries. Next, we went to the Wellcome Centre. Here, we learned about Mr. Wellcome, the “Medicine Man,” who created the first pill capsule. We also learned about obesity in the UK and viewed various physical and mental health exhibits. Lastly, we went to the Freud Museum in which we toured Freud’s final home. We saw his famous couch where he used psychoanalysis for his clinical practice. After these museums, we ate at a great restaurant called Nando’s and headed to the hotel. It was a great last full day!

The most surprising part of today was at the British Library. Our tour guide showed us both the oldest known written New Testament and the Magna Carta. I was so fascinated to see such important and formative documents. Caroline and I stood in front of these documents for a while trying to wrap our minds around the many people who have contributed to and held these documents over so many years. It was fascinating to see the Magna Carta in the British Library as it is such a crucial document to the founding principles of the United State’s government.

Seeing the Magna Carta relates back to my main theme, mental health, as so many psychological aspects are involved in the founding principles of government. Viewing this document made me think about why certain rules and laws were created. Did people of power want control?  Were the rules intended to truly help shape the country in positive ways?  In regards to mental health, how did this document, and ones like the Magna Carta, effect those who had to obey them?  I find this aspect of psychology extremely interesting as it has so deeply shaped the United States.