Day 5 Belgium

Today was a fun day of traveling and exploring!  We left Cologne early in the morning and took 4 trains and 1 bus to arrive in Ghent, Belgium. The buildings in Ghent are absolutely amazing. The city is exactly what I had pictured of Europe!  When we first arrived, we went to a food truck festival where I ate a vegan hamburger and authentic fries. Following lunch, we went to the Museum Dr. Guislain, an old insane asylum that displays mental health techniques and history over the years in various countries. This museum was extremely impactful as I learned so much about the mistreatment of psychiatric patients in the past. Following the museum tour, Caroline and I explored the beautiful city and bought Belgian waffles for dinner! After dinner, we sat with Dr. Mark and Illana and had a great discussion about the trip thus far and other psychology based topics. It was a great day!

The most surprising thing that I learned today was that St. Joan of Arc actually had Schizoprenia.  As I was raised in a Catholic Church by the name of St. Joan of Arc, I never knew this side of the story. I was really inspired by St. Joan of Arc as she not only battled a mental disorder, but also challenged social norms of the time period as a woman going to war. Furthermore, I was inspired to see that the museum honored many women who shape the discovery and treatment of mental illnesses throughout the museum. I did not realize that the impact these women were able to have not only in this time period, but also in the Catholic Church.

The Museum Dr. Guislain highlighted my main theme, mental health. I was able to understand how Dr. Guislain advocated for better treatment of the mentally ill. I was shocked to discover the horrible treatment of patients as they were regarded as animals early in history. The museum unveiled the importance of developing psychological theories as original ideas have progressed to modern day realities. Today, therapy techniques, medications, and mental institutions have all been shaped by the work of people from thousands of years ago. Due to their initial ideas, the field of psychology has flourished.