Reflection on goal setting

Professionally, I want to be like my mom. Although she is a teacher and I want to be an engineer, she has the best work ethic that I’ve even seen. Besides having a strong ethic, I want to become a role model for other girls who look like me to get involved in STEM careers. In my academic life, I want to put myself out there and develop better study habits. Although my study habits are somewhat good, I plan on developing habits that will have me succeed in every course I take. In terms of my work, I want to remain motivated and put my best foot forward. For professional involvement, I want to be involved with diverse groups within where I work and different community service efforts. My mom and family motivate me to excel in these areas. My mom has lupus which sometimes hinders her from doing what she wants to do and she still puts an effort into completing everything. Since I am studying engineering, I am in a male-dominated field. I think the two biggest challenges that I will face is my credibility towards others since I am black and a female. I also think remaining motivated during classes that aren’t interesting to me and to keep pushing forward so I can get my degree. I plan to overcome these challenges by finding mentors and talking to them about my experiences. One of my goals for my professional self is to remain motivated when I am in my classes and not to procrastinate. My biggest objective within this goal is to incorporate three main things according to Cuseo. These three things are drive, discipline and determination. These will help with my goals by constantly reminding myself of my goals and what I need to do. I also will create a vision map to see my goals. According to Michigan State University, SMART goal setting helps make your goal more specific. Going off my previous goal, my SMART goal is to by the end of this semester, realize one important thing within one of my classes that will help me with my goals and what I want to accomplish in college. Before this class, I was a passive learner. I didn’t put myself out there and just did the work to get by. From my responses, my perceptions of myself were accurate. I often feel like I’m in college for getting money and not necessarily learning which is something I need to work on. I will remain motivated in my courses to help with my best professional self.