Searching & Researching – Module 6

In college you are going to have to write few paper which involves a lots of research. There are few things to keep in mind while researching so I am going to share some tips for doing a efficient research. Best way to start a research is typing few keywords in google web search. Always follow TLC to find reliable information while doing research. First think of the term that you will be using to search the information also try to keep the term relatively short. Next try to limit the information you get by assigning the date of publication if you want the article from certain time period. You can also focus on specific field on which you are researching, and you can also limit the articles by setting the language you prefer. Lastly make the search constructed by using the operators like “and” and “or”. Also rephrase and search again if you didn’t get the information you need. While doing the research try to look for the sites reliability, quality, and utility. Sites reliability is it’s trustworthiness and see how credible are the sources. Determine sites quality by seeing how well the article is written, if the article is biased, check ow old is the article. Sites utility is seeing if the information matches what you were searching for and if the article is useful. Lastly don’t forget to cite the source of research since it is the most important part of research. If you forget to cite it is plagiarism and depending on your college’s policy, you could be kicked out of college for plagiarizing. So cite the source if you get the information from anywhere other than your own brain.

I learned a lot from this chapter like google scholar search. I knew about the university library’s scholar research but I didn’t knew about google’s scholar search. Also I learned how to check for the reliability, quality, and utility of the website and article while researching. I knew .gov and .org sites were the most credible but I didn’t knew anything beyond that. I am already citing the sources if I use the information from somewhere else and I will continue to do so. I will definitely use google scholar search engine and check for sites reliability, quality, and utility while researching my next paper.