Communication and Collaboration – Module 3

If you are new  to college life or if you are taking online class for the first time this page could be very beneficial to you. Adjusting to a new life is always hard but if you have strong communication skills it will be very helpful. The most important thing a student can do while taking online course is communicating with classmates and professor. Best way to reach a professor is  through email. While emailing professor always put a clear subject, do not use slang, always spell check your email  before sending, you proper greeting, and keep the message concise and informative. While taking online class one of the best way to get help is by asking your classmate. Go through the class list to see if you know anyone, if you do that’s great but if you don’t it not a problem. You will have a option to send mass email to the entire class or you can just send email to select group of people.  When emailing your classmates don’t be formal.  “Take time to personalize your emails to your fellow students. Just as in the classroom when you may ask them first how their day has been before asking to borrow their notes on a previous lecture, you should do the same online”(Watkins page 120). Also include your personal information like phone number, or Facebook name so that your classmates can easily reach you with the help you need. I learned how to staying organized online. I used to save everything to my documents but now I learned to best way is to create and keep the folder for each subject.  I am definitely going to use the information I learned to stay organized online in the future semesters. I always include my personal information whenever I ask my classmates for help. It was very helpful because I got an immediate response for my classmates through chat, also few of them have added me in Facebook which helped me because I was able to reach them instantly rater than waiting for an email.