Module 4: Web-Enhanced Reading and Study Strategies

Hi guys! In my experience, a lot of classes (and not just online classes) use online textbooks. This is something I’ve personally struggled with a lot, but after this module the most useful tip I’ve learned is to just be an active reader and remove distractions. Before reading, look over the sections and determine how this fits into the goals from the syllabus. While reading, identify the most important main ideas and before moving on to a new section try to summarize what you just read. Ask questions!! Keep yourself engaged and interested, ask yourself ‘why does this matter?’ or ‘what does this relate to?’. After reading, keep records of your notes and stay organized. You can use creative study tools to run through the most important themes and study for upcoming exams. One of my favorite online study tools is quizlet. You can make flashcards, quizzes and diagrams and also look at sets other people have created. It’s really easy to use and you can keep track of every module or chapter by labeling them! Try it out next time and let me know how it goes. I know that reading online can seem challenging, but just take it one chapter at a time, and create those flashcards. It’ll make everything a lot easier when it comes time to review. Good luck!

One thought on “Module 4: Web-Enhanced Reading and Study Strategies

1. Emily, there is one specific item from your post that I found to be extremely relevant to my own studies. I often will skim through my online readings and it seems like I am not gaining a lot of information. By asking questions when I am reading, such as “what is the point of this reading” or “what is the author arguing for” I was able to keep myself engaged in the reading and understand more.