Module 5: Web-Enhanced Listening and Viewing Strategies

I love how the importance of the tools and methods in note taking is emphasized this week. I’ve always been aware that taking notes is crucial for learning, but I had not been thinking a lot about how to take notes. I usually tried to write as much as possible while focusing on important points. If possible, I tried to write down everything the lecturers were saying. I did realize that doing this would make me less thoughtful in understanding the subjects being taught in class. However, I did try to take organized and detailed notes so that I could study them later in entirety. This method has helped me a lot in the past, however, if I didn’t have enough time to study my notes, I wouldn’t be able to memorize or even understand the subject I was studying. It’s like a trade-off between understanding the subject right away in class but not being able to review important details later (unless I read the textbook or something) and postponing from doing much thinking to be able to write everything down but having detailed notes that I can study later even without opening the textbook which can be time-saving. After this week’s lesson, I’ve become more aware of the importance of taking notes as an active learner. As we know from the module, it starts with active listening. Active listening is one of my favorite things that we’ve learned. It takes more to be successful than simply walk into a classroom, sit down, and start taking notes. Lastly, I do like to remind other students that writing is better than typing.

One thought on “Module 5: Web-Enhanced Listening and Viewing Strategies

1. Hello Sahal,
    I enjoyed reading about your thoughts on note taking, and what is going on in your head as you take notes. I also thought this module was important because it gave valuable points on effective note taking. What I thought was important was when you said you take organized and structured notes so that they would be useful later. I feel like this may be something I can work on because sometimes I just write things down for the sake of having it on paper, and it serves little to no purpose in the future. In conclusion your post made me think deeper on how I personally take notes and whether or not I am taking them effectively.