Web-Enhanced Listening and Viewing Strategies (Module 5)

Hi!

If you’re like me, lecture is fully spent trying to write down notes at a million miles per minute because EVERYTHING just seems important. The problem with this though, is how little information I’m actually retaining because I’m just mindlessly writing as fast as I can. This post is going to be about how to take the right notes and how to find videos that’ll help when lecture just wasn’t enough.

After watching the YouTube video, “How to Get the Most Out of Studying: Part 4 of 5, ‘Putting Principles for Learning into Practice'” I realized that I had been taking way too many notes.  This video (link below) helped me know that I should just be getting the key points and summaries while in lecture, so then, I can also pay attention and interact during class. Then, since I normally like to take more notes after this, I will probably be likely to go and watch a YouTube video after this. So how should I find the right video?

My personal favorite YouTube channels for school help are Khan Academy and The Organic Chemistry Tutor. Both of these are very helpful for my math and chemistry classes. Khan Academy was listed in the Module 5 Lesson Power Point, and I wrote about the Organic Chemistry Tutor in my discussion post. This would be a better time to take all the notes you wish, since you can pause and play a video but not a lecture.

Going forward, I will be more likely to try only writing the important notes in lecture, and focus more on paying attention and interacting with the class and my professor. I suggest you try the same!!

Good luck!

Brynn

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9GrOxhYZdQ#action=share)