Communicating and Colaborating

Hi, Readers!

My name is Brynn Miller and through this blog I’m hoping to help be informative about ways you can use technology to be extra successful and efficient in classes and going forward.

This week, the main thing I focused on working on was this website! OSU has a super easy way to get started, so just by going to u.osu.edu and signing in, you can create super accessible websites. In two of my engineering classes last year, I used websites for two huge semester-long projects. Although I am familiar with how to use this function already,I have had a TA tell me that they used the website they made to land a job during an interview. They said that by showing them how well they were with technology, that they were able to to efficiently show and communicate their skills just by clicking the link. This is how important skills like this are. This also ties in with how important it is to stick with details such as changing the date and time on your website (to the correct time zone), to show that you are professional.

I thought I’d share more tips I learned through this weeks module, aside from the creation of the website. In Lesson: Module 2, slide 5, it is brought up that “an audience cannot see your face or physically hear your voice or tone”. As a society that is mainly built around online communicating, a lot of times we can forget the importance of body language and tone. Since these two things that play a huge role in communicating and are lost over screen, it is very important to make up for it through thoroughly communicating in your words and writing. Being able to explain your thoughts with no discrepancy online is a very important tool to have, since communication online is only going to become more and more prevalent. I recommend for everyone to work on being able to be clear in what they mean, since it is a challenge to not have body language and tone on the web.

Thanks for reading!!

Brynn