GOALS: Academic Enrichment

Throughout my life, I have set many goals for myself. I have set goals to help motivation, time management, health, positivity, and of course, academics. I remember, as young as 5 years old, I dreaded going to school. I would hang on to my dad’s legs and cry to him, begging to not make me go. Of course, he made me go and I didn’t like him for it at the time, but it was simply the start of being pushed in the right direction toward success.

I never became a huge fan of school because it was required and a load of work, who enjoys that? Fortunately, as I matured I became fascinated with learning on my own. I fell in love with learning music, how the brain works, why the criminal justice system works the way it does; a multitude of interests came to me. I now study psychology and criminology here at The Ohio State University and I couldn’t be more thrilled to have the opportunity to receive an education and reach my goal of one day becoming a clinical psychologist.

Every day, when I wake up at the crack of dawn, I silently think to myself of everything I need to or want to accomplish for the day. I see my life as a progression bar and each day fills the bar up by a small sliver. I envision my bar will finally be filled after I start my dream career, get married, and start a wonderful family. This simply shows that no matter what happens in life, every single day brings a purpose and meaning. Unfortunately, there might be setbacks along the way, but I can take those setbacks and turn it around to make the most out of the situation for the following day to come.

Some goals that I have set for myself are as follows: get up early, go to the gym, go to classes, do all assignments, study, go to activities, spread positivity, talk to friends. All of these aspects combined help me to grow as an individual, while also enjoying life and having fun.

Because of my love for psychology and my desire for it to be my future career, I work day and night to do well in my psych classes. My weakest class is math, so I go to tutoring and study any chance that I have to help me pass. I also take a foreign language, Spanish, which I haven’t covered since freshman year of high school. I knew I wanted to do well in the class, so I hired a private tutor to help me catch up and refresh my memory on forgotten topics. My grades and confidence in these classes have improved tremendously because of my motivation to be successful.

In order for me to graduate on time in 2023, I planned out all of my classes that I need to and wanted to take to receive all of my required credits. I planned semester by semester and also considered time/space when I want to apply for research labs on campus and for on-campus/off-campus jobs.

I know that if I continue to work hard, set goals, and have the self-motivation, I can accomplish my dreams; first step, graduating Ohio State, then break for internships/work, third step is grad school, then internships after grad school, and finally my PhD in Clinical Psychology! Even the littlest things such as passing a calculus class for my first year at University, it is still an important sliver to fill up my life progression bar and get to my desired end result.