This section gives several different statistics associated with ocean thermal energy conversion to show the potential that it holds as a reliable source of energy.
- Can produce energy at about $0.20/kW-hr.2 As seen in the image below, this is greater than most types of non-renewable sources of energy and also wind energy. However, it is still competitive enough in its current range to be considered as not a terribly expensive source of energy.
- Resource is large enough to produce 4 times the world’s electric needs2
- Can prevent 1.3 million barrels of oil each year2 with just one 100 megawatt facility
- Can prevent half a million tons of CO2 emissions a year2
- Capable of producing 4,500 cubic meters of fresh water a day. Enough to supply a population of 20,000 people1