Interview with Roger Boylan by Jack

After scanning some of the authors, I finally decided to choose Roger Boylan. The main reason I chose Roger Boylan was because of his unique multi-cultural background and surprising answers to some of the interview questions posted by Eamonn Wall. His unique perspective and writing style combine different cultures, and express his unique understanding of multi-cultural literature which I am very interested about. I can strongly feel his passion for writing through the interview. I can tell that he must be a very good writer with plenty of knowledge and great passion.

Roger Boylan was an American writer but grew up in Europe and Ireland. After attending the University of Ulster and the University of Edinburgh, he worked as a translator, computer technician, teacher, and book editor. His first novel Killoyle was published in 1997. Currently, Roger lives in San Marcos with his wife. He is on the faculty of Western Connecticut State University as a lecturer in creative writing. His novels includes Killoyle, The Great Pint-pulling Olympiad, and The Adorations. As a critic and essayist, he has been a regular contributor to Boston Review and The New York Times Book Review. Roger’s articles and reviews also appear in many other well-known publications, including The Economist, Context, and The Scotsman.

If I can get a chance to have a conversation with Roger Boylan, I would ask him three questions. The first question I want to ask is: what is your opinion about the differences and similarities between Irish and American literature writing style? I expect he can give me some specific examples and some general ideas. The second question would be: is there anyone or any books that inspire him to form his own multi-cultural writing style? The last question I am curious about is: what does he set out to achieve in his writing, and what is his purpose.

Website Link: http://www.rogerboylan.com/.

After searching on Google, I found out about Roger Boylan’s website. This website is edited by Roger Boylan himself. The website mainly gives a brief introduction of Roger Boylan, and also gives descriptions and reviews of his books in English, German, and Italian. Overall, the website design is very good and friendly to readers. The title is big enough to attract readers. Under the title, there is a horizontal navigation bar to help readers to quickly reach. The information and resources are enough to introduce Roger to someone does not know him before, and the website uses many pictures to help illustrate Roger’s book and Roger himself which makes the website more vivid to readers. Besides, there are also many links in different paragraphs to help reader navigate to his books.

Roger Boylan has written many books through his life time. Below is a list of his famous publications.

• Killoyle, An Irish Farce, Dalkey Archive Press (1997)
  • The Great Pint-Pulling Olympiad, Grove Press (2003)
  • Killoyle, Eine Irische Farce. Translated by Harry Rowohlt. Published by Rogner and Bernhard, Hamburg (1999)
  • Rückkehr nach Killoyle: Eine Vorwiegend Irische Farce. Translated by Harry Rowohlt. Rogner and Bernhard, Hamburg (2002)
  • The Maladjusted Terrorist. Forthcoming in English.
  • Killoyle Wein und Käse. Translated by Harry Rowohlt. Rogner and Bernhard, Berlin (2006)
  • The Adorations. Olympiad Press (2012)
  • Run Like Blazes. Duvel Press (2011)