The Doctor by PG

Comments

I walked up on the same stairs, she was still sitting in the front desk, reading a book. If not told by my mom, I wouldn’t know that she was the boss of this salon. Her tiny salon was on the second floor of an old house in a not busy alley. Unlike other salons, she only put a small sign outside of the house, saying “Salon, go upstairs from here!”. Because of this, I never notice this place even living here for ten more years.

She heard my steps, putting down the book and looked up. “Welcome back!” She smiled, and put her shoulder length hair back to her ears. “Do you remember me?” I was surprised that she used the word “back”. “Of course, I am pretty confident on my memory!” she stood up. She was not as tall as in my memory, actually even half-headed shorter than me. “Come in, and have a seat!” “I, I just want to thank you for last time!” Then I handed her a bunch of pink carnation. “You are welcome, and thanks your flowers” she took those flowers, “You are always welcome to stop-by, but next time, don’t bring those again, okay?” Sunlight shot on her face, melting the coldness of this winter. I looked through the window, which reminded me the first meet with this lady.

It was also a freezing day, I felt sick while walking through this alley with my mom. My instinct to use the bathroom lead me into her salon. Opening the door, the surrounding suddenly darkened. While stepping on the stairs, I felt the pumping pressure in my ears. Things got blurrier and blurrier. Keeping balance became harder and harder, I could only walk with my mom’s help. Then my mom’s voice, surrounding sounds were hard to identify. “What…Is she ok?…” as a new voice beaten in my ears, my consciousness came back a second. I saw a woman in red stand up in the front desk. Don’t know when, I was waken by the pain of my head knocking the ground in the bathroom. “Is anyone outside? Help! I need help!” It was the shaky voice from my mom. Then an red indistinct silhouette appears, and I totally forgot what happened next.

When I opened my eyes again, the bright light was gloomy and dazzling on the ceiling. I slowly turned my head and figured I was lying on a bed in a small room. Looking aside, my mom was sitting by me. The women in red was lighting a moxibustion, which could help blood circulation and kept body warm. “How do you feel now? “Without glasses, I saw her unclear but peaceful face. I slightly nodded my head. She gently put her hand on my forehead, as if the warm stream suddenly filled in my body. “Don’t worry, she looks better now. Her cheeks are not as pale as before.” She turned to my mom. The sunlight swept on her hair, she was shining and pretty.

“Thank you” I used my full energy whispered, when she bent closer to me. “I’m a doctor, that’s what I should do.” She whispered as well. This time, I had a chance to see her closer, especially her charming smile.