The Engineering Learning Community is still accepting applications to fill a couple spots. If you are interested in participating in the program, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible!
The Application is located on the left-hand navigation bar.
Just a reminder –
The April 1st deadline to submit your application for the Engineering Learning Community is quickly approaching. Please submit your application by then to receive first consideration for our program.
If you are interested in living in on-campus housing, please submit your housing application and pay the housing deposit by Friday, April 13th. This date is earlier than the deadline marketed by the Housing Office, so learning community students can receive priority consideration to get into housing.
Once you apply to the learning community, information on how to take the OSU Math Placement Test will be sent to your OSU email address.
Application to the Engineering Learning Community is now available for the 2018-2019 program. Deadline to apply is April 1st to secure your spot!
Started in 2014, the Engineering Learning Community serves as an opportunity for Engineering and pre-Engineering students at the Newark campus to build a social and academic network in their first year of enrollment at The Ohio State University. Students in the learning community take three common courses together during the first two semesters. Members of the learning community also have opportunities to interact with area engineers and employers throughout the year.
The Engineering Learning Community offers the following opportunities:
- Going to class with a group of freshmen who have the same academic interest and background. Courses you will take include Foundations of Engineering and Engineering University Survey class.
- Gaining the skills necessary to support your transition and your continued success on the Columbus campus.
- Joining other members of the learning community in meeting to provide feedback on your experience.
- Interacting with successful engineers in the local areas.
- Participating in field trips related to the field of engineering.
- Engaging in social activities designed for the learning community.
- *Receive priority consideration for Newark Campus Residence Hall housing for those why apply by April 1st (see the Housing page for more details).
To be eligible for the Engineering Learning Community at The Ohio State University at Newark, students must:
- Have declared an engineering or pre-engineering major
- Apply to the learning community under the Application tab
- Take the OSU Math Placement Test and earn a placement level “M” or “L” (pre-calculus or calculus). Information regarding the test can be found under the Math Placement Test tab.
- Take the Engineering Learning Community courses specified on the Course tabs: Engineering 1181.01 and 1182.01 and Engineering University Survey
- While students are not obligated to accept our offer of admission or to pay the acceptance fee by April 1st, opportunities to be included in one of our learning communities do fill up quickly. We encourage you to pay your acceptance fee as soon as you know you want to join Buckeye Nation at Ohio State Newark.