The Engineering Learning Community is still accepting applications until full! If you are interested in participating in the program, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible! We will then work with you to complete your OSU Math Placement Test in order for your application to be considered.
We will continue to accept learning community applications until all spots in the program have been filled.
The Application is located on the left-hand navigation bar.
Please note that priority consideration for housing is no longer available at this time as the deadline to submit the required information has passed.
We hope you consider applying to one of the most incredible student success programs at Ohio State Newark! The application now available, which you can access under the “Application” tab on the left-hand navigation bar. Students are encouraged to pay their non-refundable Ohio State Acceptance Fee by this time as well, if applicable. There is no fee to apply to the learning community. Our program is free and is for the primary purpose to support our students in their success!
If you have questions, please leave a comment on this site or call 740-755-7881.
We look forward to receiving your application and working with you as you become a Buckeye next fall!
Started in 2014, the Engineering Learning Community serves as an opportunity for Engineering and pre-Engineering students at the Newark campus to build a social and academic network in their first year of enrollment at The Ohio State University. Students in the learning community take three common courses together during the first two semesters. Members of the learning community also have opportunities to interact with area engineers and employers throughout the year.
The Engineering Learning Community offers the following opportunities:
- Going to class with a group of freshmen who have the same academic interest and background. Courses you will take include Foundations of Engineering and Engineering University Survey class.
- Gaining the skills necessary to support your transition and your continued success on the Columbus campus.
- Joining other members of the learning community in meeting to provide feedback on your experience.
- Interacting with successful engineers in the local areas.
- Participating in field trips related to the field of engineering.
- Engaging in social activities designed for the learning community.
- *Receive priority consideration for Newark Campus Residence Hall housing for those why apply by April 1st (see the Housing page for more details).
To be eligible for the Engineering Learning Community at The Ohio State University at Newark, students must:
- Have declared an engineering or pre-engineering major
- Apply to the learning community under the Application tab
- Take the OSU Math Placement Test and earn a placement level “M” or “L” (pre-calculus or calculus). Information regarding the test can be found under the Math Placement Test tab.
- Take the Engineering Learning Community courses specified on the Course tabs: Engineering 1181.01 and 1182.01 and Engineering University Survey
- While students are not obligated to accept our offer of admission or to pay the acceptance fee by April 1st, opportunities to be included in one of our learning communities do fill up quickly. We encourage you to pay your acceptance fee as soon as you know you want to join Buckeye Nation at Ohio State Newark.