Nationwide, universities report a 30% increase in demand for mental health services despite only 6% increases in student enrollment (1).
To meet the increasing demand and variety of mental health concerns experienced by college students, OSU CCS offers a variety of solutions. You can learn more about this variety on our mental health options page.
This blog post discusses an innovative service for OSU students called Silvercloud.
What is Silvercloud?
- Silvercloud is an online, self-paced, computerized Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) based program to help you learn ways to feel better by addressing, thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- Additional features and benefits include:
- Self-paced so you can do it on your own at any time.
- Modules and programs based on your needs.
- It can be done on a variety of electronic devices.
- It can be done on its own or in addition to other mental health services.
- Here is a video: https://vimeo.com/502522528
What types of concerns can Silvercloud address?
- Silvercloud has programs to help you improve Anxiety, Depression, Covid, Sleep, Resiliency, and Stress.
Does Silvercloud work?
- There are over 40 research papers on this subject.
- Some highlights include:
- 60% of users showed significant reduction in depression scores, 56% showed a significant reduction in anxiety scores, and symptom reduction was maintained 3 months post follow up (2).
- A subsequent study in the journal Nature digital health showed improvements lasting 12 months after program completion (3).
- 85% of users see improvement in depression and anxiety scores (3).
- It is offered by hundreds of universities, public and private organizations, health insurance plans, even the National Health Service in the United Kingdom offers this service to their users.
- 94% of users said they found the program helpful (3).
What are some caveats?
- Silvercloud is not for mental health crisis, or emergencies.
- Silvercloud does NOT replace professional mental health treatment.
- Some students may prefer or be more appropriate for teletherapy, telepsychiatry, or in person mental health treatment, with or without Silvercloud.
- Silvercloud is mostly based on Cognitive behavioral therapy and some students may benefit from other therapy modalities for mental health support.
How can I access Silvercloud?
To get started,
- Create a SilverCloud Account: https://osu.silvercloudhealth.com/signup/
- Log in to your SilverCloud Account: https://osu.silvercloudhealth.com/
- Download the SilverCloud app on Apple App Store or Google Play
Disclaimer: This article is intended to be informative only. It is advised that you check with your own physician/mental health provider before implementing any changes. With this article, the author is not rendering medical advice, nor diagnosing, prescribing, or treating any condition, or injury; and therefore claims no responsibility to any person or entity for any liability, loss, or injury caused directly or indirectly as a result of the use, application, or interpretation of the material presented.
- https://sites.psu.edu/ccmh/fi les/2018/02/2017_CCMH_Report-1r4m88x.pdf
- Palacios JE, Richards D, Palmer R, Coudray C, Hofmann SG, Palmieri PA, Frazier P, Supported Internet-Delivered Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Programs for Depression, Anxiety, and Stress in University Students: Open, Non-Randomised Trial of Acceptability, Effectiveness, and Satisfaction, JMIR Ment Health 2018;5(4):e11467
- Mental Health Research | SilverCloud Health