Time, Task, & Environment Management

Time management is something I have been working on for most of my life. I have always had school work, family obligations, work, and extracurricular activities. Making sure I have enough time to get done what I need to get done and still getting enough sleep can sometimes be a hard task.

One problem that I tend to have is making sure I plan enough time to get my assignments done. Sometimes I think an assignment is going to take less time to complete than it ultimately does. This then causes me more problems because I usually have other assignments waiting to be done and my planning gets messed up. To help make sure I am managing my time well, I have a planner where I keep all of my due dates, work schedule, and anything else going on in my life (Leach, n.d.). Having everything in one place allows me to see what I am doing and when I have time to get things done before they are due. I also check things off as I get them done. As the article suggests, it gives me a bigger sense of accomplishment seeing my tasks checked off (Leach, n.d.).

Lastly, finding the correct place to study and do school work is something I need to work on. In the video, Dr. Hensley points out that a good study environment is motivating and free of distractions (Hensley, 2015). Sometimes I don’t feel like leaving my room and walking to the library to get work done. However, if I stay in my room I often can’t focus as well and then the studying isn’t as effective as it should be. One place I do like to go is one of the many study rooms in my dorm. These rooms are nice because I don’t have to go outside in the cold and walk to the library, and they are also quiet and have tables and a white board that I can use. Dr. Hensley also said that the place that you choose as your study environment should be a place that you associate with studying (Hensley, 2015). Although the study rooms are in my building, the only reason I go to those rooms is to get work done. I know when I am in there, I can sit down and focus on my work and not have all the distractions that are in my dorm room.

References:

Hensley, L. (2015). Video Lecture: Tips on Managing Time, Tasks and Study Environment for Online Learners. Retrieved from https://youtube/TDme7FwnU2Q.

Leach, A. (n.d.). Time Management Tips for Non-Traditional Students. Retrieved June 26, 2017, from http://spsblog.cofc.edu/blog/6-time-management-tips-for-non-traditional-students