Milestone 2: M.O.U./ Project Plan

The process for drafting and developing the MOU was a pretty fluid process due to the fact that this blended learning content fulfills an expressed need and addresses an instructional problem that directly aligns with the school’s i3 Initiative. The work that I have done with the Lomond Elementary i3 Committee has been ongoing since the summer of 2019. I believe that my MOU addresses the general project outcomes clearly and effectively. I also believe that the project planning process of developing the project charter, SWOT analysis, risk assessment, and logic model helped to clearly define the need for instruction, goals, and objectives of the i3 blended learning content. 

My project and blended learning content have evolved each week as I continue to share the Google Site and Google Classroom content with Shifa, Mary Ann, and the third grade team. Everyone I have collaborated with has been very receptive and supportive of this process. Their excitement and engagement has also shown that they are motivated to use these tools with their students. I have learned in this process that Lomond teachers and students experience with blended learning is wide-ranging. There are four teachers that make up the third grade team and half of them said they were familiar with blended learning, while most said they had not implemented this type of a model with their students before. Due to this feedback, I have decided to focus on two Units of Inquiry (UOI) and also develop some supporting instructional content that teachers and students can use to help them with navigating Google Classroom, using the Google Site, and developing a knowledge base for teaching Design Thinking. The third grade team will also be responsible for leading professional learning for the other grade levels in the future as part of the i3 “early adopters” team, so giving them the tools and resources to share this Design Thinking content is important as well.

Shifa and Mary Ann have helped me to reflect on the design, layout, and sequence of the blended learning content. Mary Ann shared that she has first-hand experience with students having difficulty adding a class in Google Classroom, as well as navigating to and turning in assignments. This is the catalyst for adding the “Intro to Google Classroom” content. Shifa has also shared that one of the goals to this curriculum development is that it can serve as an exemplary model for teachers across grades K-4. Keeping the site and classroom simple and easy to navigate will enable teachers to use it as a template for their own Google Site and Classroom development in the future. In collaboration with the team, we also decided that rather than focusing on a subject-based breakdown of content (STEAM+Literacy), a transdisciplinary sequence based on the phases of the Design Thinking framework would align better with UOIs and the IB Primary Year Programme philosophy. 

I am optimistic that the scope of my project is realistic and attainable for the timeline of this semester. The most challenging aspect is that this is a team development effort and the actual content of the curriculum is being decided largely by following the third grade unit planners. Since I am not a third grade teacher, I am relying on those teachers as my subject matter experts (SMEs). It can be difficult to find a time when the whole team can meet together due to our busy schedules. We have relied on Common Planning Time (CPT) and pre-scheduled meeting times in order to maintain collaborative working relationships and keep in constant communication as this project progresses. Since I am taking on the role of  instructional designers and pedagogical consultant, it has been challenging at times to find the time to work as a team to decide the scope and sequence of the blended learning content so that everyone is in agreement.