Using Materials in Distance Education and eLearning

Check out some information about using materials in Distance Education and eLearning below!

The Copyright Resources Center provides information on copyright basics, using works in a distance learning environment, and best practices for finding and using public domain and openly licensed sources (including Creative Commons).

When do you need permission to use a copyrighted work in your online course?

Copyright law provides two important statutory exceptions for distance learning: the TEACH Act and fair use. Using materials in distance learning: A guide to 110(2) (the TEACH Act) will guide you through all of the requirements outlined in the TEACH Act to determine if you may rely on this statutory exception to perform or display a work in an online setting. You may also consider whether your use of a work constitutes fair use. Use the fair use checklist app to work through all of the fair use factors.

Looking for works that are free of copyright restrictions or works that are openly licensed?

The Copyright Resources Center has a growing list of public domain and openly licensed materials.

When using a Creative Commons licensed work, you must provide attribution to the copyright owner. Use this Creative Commons Attribution Guide to review the elements required for attribution and to view sample attribution statements.

If you cannot rely on a statutory exception, such as the TEACH Act or fair use, and the copyrighted work is not available under an open license, you must seek permission from the copyright owner to use the work. More information on the approval process and sample permission forms are available at


The Copyright Resources Center at University Libraries provides copyright education and guidance to faculty, staff, and students of the University. Information and resources are available on our website at You can reach out to us for any of your copyright questions by phone (614.688.5849) or email (

College Commons Loan Equipment Process

Are you a student or faculty member at the College of Education and Human Ecology requiring video and audio equipment to record the classes you teach, need it for a class project, or simply require it for research purposes?

Here at the College Commons located in Ramseyer Hall 260, our trained student employees can assist you in loaning out what you need to improve teaching and learning experiences. We offer Canon Vixias and Bloggies; tripods for each of them; and even microphones like the Nessie and Zoom.

What can you expect during check out?

Our full time program assistant, Andrew Vogel, and a trained student worker at the front desk can explain to you the difference between the different microphones and cameras to help facilitate your decision as to what you want to loan out. You will then have to fill out a Qualtrics survey with your contact information, the course you require it for, the associated faculty member teaching the class and the details of the equipment you are loaning out. Don’t forget to bring your buck id. Without it, we are unable to verify if you are indeed a part of the university. Each staff member or student is allowed a 20-business day loan period after which all equipment loaned out must be returned. Equipment loaned out by a faculty member is allowed to be loaned out for the remainder of the current semester. Once you have agreed to our terms and conditions and the survey goes through, you will be receiving an initial email confirming your loan with information about when it’s due and what equipment you loaned out. Our student workers will also be emailing you a reminder email to return your equipment closer to when your loan is due. If you are late, you will be receiving a late email. If after a week of delinquency if you are a student, we reserve the right to contact your professor and grades may be withheld.

What if I have never used a camera and tripod before?

Don’t fret the staff siting at the front desk are available at our open hours to assist you in learning how to use the equipment; in fact, you can get a demo right then and there after you loan out your equipment. How do I transfer and edit my recordings on my computer or any other device? In the bag containing your equipment you will find the necessary cables that you require for any transferring needs. Our staff can also walk you through the transfer and editing procedure.

When returning cameras, our staff will be checking if the equipment returned is in the same condition as it left; a valid buck id must be brought in for us to cross check if the person who loaned it out is in fact you. If we find any damage to the equipment we are reserved the right to charge you for replacing the damaged equipment. We recommend you delete the recordings off your equipment yourself before returning it and make sure you have it saved on your device. If our staff find any recordings on the equipment; we reserve the right to delete it immediately once the check in procedure is completed and do not hold ourselves liable to any loss of your project. It would be highly appreciated if you could charge the equipment before you return it as during our busy season there is equipment loaned out the minute we have a return and our staff might not be able to check if the equipment is working or provide a demo to the next customer.

If you have any questions you can contact our Program Coordinator, Kristina Fox, and Program Assistant, Andrew Vogel, for more information, or you can contact us at

Event Spolight-Geneva Gay

On September 8th, EHE EdTech and the College Commons had the honor of hosting Geneva Gay’s lecture on education strategies concerning racial demographics. She spoke about many important findings related to racial demographics and its impact on American education. If you couldn’t make the lecture, a recording is posted below. Take a look!


Edtech Multimedia Team