Wildflowers in bloom: Scioto Audubon Metro park

Symphyotrichum novae-angliae in the Asteraceae family.

Symphyotrichum novae-angliae (L.)

New England aster
Asteraceae
Native
Scioto Audubon Metro park on 9/14/2014. Scioto Audubon Metro park is on the Whittier Peninsula (surrounded by the Scioto River) in the middle of downtown Columbus. It is the restored site of an old impound lot and warehouses. This specimen of aster was found in replanted prairie in lowland marshy area about two feet tall and found growing in moist soil within 5 feet of a small wetland. Third most common species blooming in the area behind Solidago and Eupatorium.

3 thoughts on “Wildflowers in bloom: Scioto Audubon Metro park

1. I enjoy visiting the Scioto Audubon Metro Park, so it is nice to see a preview of what flowers I might see next time I visit. This New England Aster has a striking look to it. I read once that the name Aster comes from the Greek word for star, referring to the star look of the flowers.

2. I have never visited the Scioto Audobon Metro Park before, but the New England Aster is very beautiful! The park is close to campus and definitely seems worth a visit. This particular Aster (New England Aster) is easy to identify because the purple flowers are much larger and have more florets than the typical Aster.

3. I used to see this flower a lot at a study site I frequently visited. The color really makes it stand out and I always wondered what it was. My study site was in a wet prairie sort of area as well so this plant must like wetter soils!