Buckeyethon

On Saturday February 10, 2019, I particpated in Ohio State’s Buckeython. Buckeyethon is a 24-hour long dance marathon that raises awareness and funds to treat children who have been diagnosed with pediatric cancer. There were two 12-hour shifts in which an individual could participate. My shift was 10am-10pm on Saturday. During my shift, I had to stand for the whole 12 hours to symbolize the continuous fight that children with pediatric cancer go through everyday. I was assigned a team color that represented a kid or kids. Throughout my shift there were multiple opportunities to raise more funds and awareness as well as meet the kid(s) that I was representing. There was also several activities to particpate in such as GAGA ball, silent disco, rave hour, zoo animals, and dodgeball. I have learned that I am very passionate about bringing awareness to cancer and helping find a cure in any way that I can. Participating in Buckeyethon has impacted me as a leader in a way that allows me to be apart of something that is bigger than just myself. Cancer is a global epidemic that has affected many individuals directly and their families indirectly. Buckeyethon has allowed me to help aid those individuals in ways that are accessible to me. Because of service I am able to make a small difference that has a huge impact.