Buckeyes Give

On Saturday April 6, 2019, I volunteered through Ohio State’s Alumni Association for four hours to go throughout Columbus and volunteer at various sites. I was assigned to travel to Goodwill Whitehall to offer my services around the store. Goodwill Columbus’ mission is to raise funds and awareness to allow individuals who may have a mental or physical barrier the ability to retain a job. Throughout the course of my time, I helped remove product that had been on the selves for an extended amount of time. This was done by checking dates and colors of the tags that were on the products in order to determine if the product was to be removed or not. I have learned that I shouldn’t take anything I have for granted because it can be taken away in the blink of an eye. Volunteering has impacted me by opening my eyes to another aspect of diversity that not many individuals are exposed to. This has impacted me as a leader by showing me how everyone should be treated equal and given equal opportunites to succeed in life despite any barriers that may be holding them back. I have also learned that a good leader doesn’t make quick judgements about an individual and will take the time to understand their situation. Because of service learning, I am more aware of social issues and how they impact individuals and their families. I am also more aware of ways to alleviate some social issues and how to handle a situation when one is to arise involving social issues.