Module 5: Web-Enhanced Listening and Viewing Strategies

The most useful thing I learned in this module was about the note taking. I’ve always taken notes about the same: listen actively, tune out occasionally, borrow notes to fill in gaps and then rewrite them and summarize them until I have a “cheat sheet” I can rewrite from memory onto the exam. So it’s like an actual study hack. The video from slide 7 “Episode 3: Taking Notes in the Classroom” reminded me of 5th grade when I learned about Cornell notes. I thought it was time consuming, useless, and annoying back then. Now I just think it’s time consuming. I can see the value the value of summarizing the lecture (especially if it’s a day or two later so you have to reread the material) and recognizing/labeling the headers quickly. One specific example of something from this module I already put into practice is outline notes. That’s the way I’ve always taken notes. It’s worked very well for me, but that might be survivorship bias or just a result of me rewriting them so many times.

Some ideas I could put into practice would be to consider what type of notes to take depending on the type of class. Some teachers just talk and don’t put ppts online or provide any kind of notes or support so typing is really the only option available. For teachers who do put their notes up, just writing what they cover is what’s worked best for me in the past. Actually, reviewing the online material typing it out then printing it with double spacing and large margins for me to write the teachers notes is what I believe works best then, then you can reorganize in the correct order and hand write it all out.