Module 2: Communicating and Collaborating

Module 2 covered various subjects such as netiquette, group work, and blogs.

The most useful thing I learned in this module was from slide 14, the video about lazy group members by College Info Geek.  He mentioned preventative measures but poignantly realized that when it comes down to it the only good option is to bite the bullet and do their work for them. To be frank, we’ve all been in both positions. Working with a burnt-out sixth year who doesn’t care about his last credits to graduate was the opposite of fun but so was juggling a theater project work worth 10pts vs a Spanish midterm with 30% of your grade. Oh was that one just me?

Moving forward, one specific example from this module that I already put into practice (and have for the past few years) is always being formal in my emails to professors. A lot of my friends think it’s funny but there’s no possible negative outcome and it takes at most a minute to formalize my language/spell-check/double check credentials (doctorate?) to a) give the professor the respect they worked and paid for (think about your own student loans) and b)to make a good impression. I’d like to start looking into blogs more I’ve honestly never had a reason to check anyone’s out.

The best advice I have for students based on information from this module is a reiteration from College Info Geeks. The best way to deal with group projects with with preventative measures: in your first meeting assign responsibilities (including group leader who gets the smallest share of work since they have to deal with everyone else) soft due dates and get everyones phone number and personal and school emails then start a group chat reiterating that. But if that doesn’t work, then get to cranking out their share- chances are they aren’t.