Do.

The last part of my scholars project to explore the opportunities around me included going to do something new! Over the years I have only gone rock climbing about one or two times, however, this time I decided to sign up for a rock climbing class and becoming belay certified, this means that I would be able to belay for other who wanted to climb and hold the ropes for them. The class was $5 which surprised me being that inexpensive! It lasted about an hour, and the instructors taught us how to tie different rock climbing knots, the different belay holders, and we even got to practice hoisting each other up on the free rock wall. After all the instruction the class was over and we were told to come back after 24 hours had passed in order to take the belay test. This was the scariest part, and may have been worse than some of my chemistry finals. The tester was so intense and I felt like I had someone hovering over my shoulder as I tied the figure 8 knot. I luckily got my friend up the wall and safely back down without dropping her or needing the tester’s assistance. Although he had a few pointers for me after the test was over I did pass! He took me over to the registration booth, and printed me a little badge to put around my waist anytime I came back in to climb. I was so proud of myself for accomplishing something brand new while also acquiring another skill!