ACT Prep Videos Service Project

act-logo

The STEM Exploration and Engagement Scholars program has provided me with many service opportunities. One being an ACT Prep video series I have been working on with a few of my fellow STEM EE scholars. Our target audience are high school students, who are in the process of taking the ACT. The goal of this project is to give students easy access to helpful tips on how to take the standardized ACT. An improvement in their score may help them get into college or obtain scholarships. This is a worthwhile cause because some families do not have the funds to send their students to a prep course, or even purchase an ACT guide book. Additionally, the advice given in the videos will be more relatable to the audience because it will be coming from students who are around the same age.

Our video series process  has only just begun; however, we have plans for each of the videos and what they are going to entail. We have divided up responsibilities amongst the group members as to which parts of the ACT we will be covering. For example, I will be talking about how to take the writing portion of the test, while another group member will be discussing the english and reading sections. The resources for this type of project are endless, and we have decided to utilize the on-campus audio/video equipment at Denney Hall. Once the videos are complete, they will be edited and reviewed before posted on the internet for anyone to access and benefit from. I will benefit from this service project in the future because it will help me get my points across more clearly. Because I plan to attend medical school, these types of skills will be useful for me while explaining things to my patients and their families. It will be important that I am able to get the correct information across to them without inaccuracy or confusion.