Freckles and Tattoos Extra Credit

Click to enlarge

This is my edit on the original Freckles and Tattoo image. In this edit, I have changed the models hair and eye color. In order to accomplish this, I utilized methods I had been taught in class. To modify the hair color, I duplicated the finished image and used the “Select and Mask” tool in order to screen out everything but the model’s hair. With the hair isolated, I was able to use difference colored brushes as well as different opacity and blending modes to effectively alter the model’s hair color. While this method is far from perfect, it was a very quick and efficient alteration that I was very surprised by. I did not perform this edit until late in the semester, so I was more familiar with the tools in Photoshop. However, I was surprised with how intuitively I was able to look at the image and perform my own edits without any guides or tutorials based exclusively what I had learned from class. Having the alteration process demoed in class was definitely very effective in helping me learn. While I may not be able to completely replicate the quality displayed to me, it shows me what type of quality is possible and what tools I should consider using when I attempt my own edits.

Altering the models eyes was performed using essentially the same process as the hair. I was inadvertently a bit sneaky with my choice of eye color for this edit. Being able to change the eye color of a person and have it look believable turned out to be more difficult than hair. Using a non-natural eye color that would suggest that the model is wearing colored contacts mitigated this issue. However, this was actually not intentional. While it was a convenient turn of events, after making this version of the image, I actually went back and attempting to create more natural eye colors with moderate success. When it came time to finally submit a design, I ended up reverting the image to the supernatural blue eye color. There was something bizarrely captivating and interesting about the edit that stuck out to me more than replacing her eyes with just another natural eye color. Overall, while I still have a lot of progress to make with making realistic and cosmetic edits, I was very satisfied with my ability to produce my own edits and have moderate success utilizing only the skills I had learned in class.