My Ring

My family holds a special place in my heart. I would not be the strong, intelligent, independent woman I am without their support, love, and the values and beliefs passed down to me. I am constantly reminded by their impact on my life by the ring I wear every day on my right hand. It was given to be by my grandmother, though it originally belonged to my great-grandmother.

My grandmother is my role model. She completed a Ph.D. She was one of two women in her high school class to get a job; she worked as an addiction counselor before becoming a guidance counselor and then working her way up to vice principal and then principal of a middle school. She was also a single, working mom after divorcing my grandpa when my mom was six. When she finally did retire, she fought and survived breast cancer.

My grandmother helped shape who I am. She taught me to value my education and to work hard. She showed me how to persevere and never give up. And she instilled in me the importance of family. I doubt I would be at OSU or the person I am today. Each day I wear the ring of my grandmother and her mother before that, I remember how she and my family have led me to OSU and push me to succeed. They, especially my grandmother, are the reason I have done well this year.