Second Year Service Project – The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center

Throughout my second year at OSU I volunteered weekly at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.  I had a great experience volunteering in the hospital my first semester at OSU and wanted to continue.  This has been a great opportunity to learn what it is like to work in different areas of the hospital.  For the first half of my service project I volunteered at the new OSU Brain and Spine Hospital.  I helped restock patient rooms, change sharps containers, and keep patients company.  I was there during the transition from the old building to the new and I learned a lot about what features of the new hospital were improvements from the old and why.  I specifically volunteered on the Stroke Care floor.  I learned how important it is to wash hands before and after entering a patient’s room.  Throughout this experience I was able to connect some of my microbiology and public health coursework to what I saw in the hospital.

For the second half of my service project I volunteered on the Mother and Infants Postpartum floor.  I sat at the nurses’ station to answer the door, prepared new mother folders, clean cribs, and make baby charts.  Throughout the past semester I was really able to get to know the nurses on the floor.  I felt like I was able to build relationships with the nurses and further offer assistance.  I learned the most on this floor because I got to assist with new tasks each week.  This was a valuable experience for me because I someday hope to practice as an OBGYN and I was able to learn a lot about the daily life of an OBGYN in a hospital setting.  Overall, I gained valuable experience in a couple areas of the hospital and I am excited to volunteer in more areas in the future.