Columbus To-Do-List Part 1

dscn2975dscn2989

The list I selected was German Village. I want to learn more about the neighborhood and the German influences it brings to Columbus. Through this project, I am looking forward to experiencing the culture and food of the area. I hope to gain a deep appreciation of German Village, as well as hopefully finding a new favorite spot to visit. One of my first experiences was Schiller Park. Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller was a German poet, philosopher, historian, and playwright. Ultimately, he stands for the preservation of German culture. My favorite part of the park is the simple beauty of the land and how inviting it felt to be there. Another thing I liked about the park is the Umbrella Girl statue because she embodies youth. She is actually the second one, since the first was stolen. The park holds a lot of history and many quotes to enlighten the days of visitors. Aside from the historic importance, Schiller Park is also full of life, not just through its visitors but also through the plants and aquatic life. I had a fantastic experience. I walked the park with Olivia; we also stopped and took way too many pictures. There was a stage that had vines growing up the pillars, and the beauty was captivating. We enjoyed walking around it and taking fun pictures. Being in German Village made me feel like I was no longer in Columbus, but instead in a new place with a well preserved culture. I would love to go back and sit by the lake and enjoy the scenery. I would highly recommend that everybody go to Schiller Park at least once.

dscn2967

One thought on “Columbus To-Do-List Part 1

1. I’m glad you liked German Village! I don’t think I’ve taken the time to go there, but from what you said it sounds really nice! I’ll have to go check it out sometime. I especially love your picture of the lake!