Earth Month: Week Two Challenge

My second challenge was to only take as much food at the dining halls as I was actually going to eat. It was actually very easy to make the conscious decision to conserve food. If I was still hungry for something after I ate what I took, I could just go back and get a little more. Instead of grabbing too much food when I get to the dining halls (since my eyes tend to always be larger than my stomach), I would grab just a few items and see how I was feeling after that. In order to conserve more food, I decided to eat the food that has been sitting in my dorm room for awhile and not even go to the dining halls at all. Even though I am just one person, if more people ate food that they had every once in awhile instead of going to the dining halls, this would help the dining halls save food by not having to make as much. In the spirit of conserving, I also used a reusable water bottle everywhere I went in order to not waste materials by using disposable cups or water bottles for drinks. In addition, whenever I wanted to get coffee while studying in the library I brought around a reusable coffee mug for them to put the coffee in instead of disposable coffee cups.  I have learned that it is extremely easy to conserve food and materials, I just have to keep it in my mind so I don’t forget my reusable bottles or remind myself not to take too much food when I think I’m super hungry. Something different I can do is talk to my friends how easy it is to do these things, and the more people that do it, the more food and materials will be conserved. I am a bit nervous for my next challenge, which is to take the stairs instead of taking the elevator. I think it will be tough going up and down seven flights of stairs, but at the same time I will be conserving a lot of electricity by not taking the elevator every time I need to leave or go to my room.