Yukio moved to the United States with her family several years ago and has begun to pursue her education along with working to support her family. English is not her first language, though she manages to communicate well through the written word. She is pursuing an online degree program so that she can more easily live at home and work part-time to support her family.
- Some of the videos the instructor posts do not contain captions so when Yokio hears new terminology or is unsure of what has been said she is not supported with text.
- Some videos in the course contain captions but are spoken so quickly that it is challenging for Yokio to keep up and the same content is not covered elsewhere.
- The course content contains lengthy paragraphs without headings that might help provide meaning and organization.
- Some of the course content contains metaphors and sarcasm that is hard for Yokio to understand.
- There are frequent references to aspects of American culture that Yokio is unfamiliar with and no additional explanation or background is provided.
RESOURCES FOR DESIGN
More questions? Visit the ODEE Resource Center: Accessibility or email ODEEaccessibility@osu.edu.