Projective Renderings for Glen Echo Ravine Daylighting

Some images from a project that I’m currently working on with the Lower Olentangy Urban Arboretum (LOUA), envisioning what Glen Echo Ravine might look like if daylighted at High Street. This project is still in an early stage, I’ll continue to post images as it takes shape.

2 thoughts on “Projective Renderings for Glen Echo Ravine Daylighting

1. How far is this project along? I am very interested. Glen Echo Ravine played host to a picnic ground near High St before the Olentangy Amusement Park came to be. Glen Echo Park has been there for a century. Over the last two decades Glen Echo has received some attention and it is once more an attractive park to walk through, but it is still needing more attention. This beautiful spot in Columbus has been ignored for much of its history. It deserves a massive improvement.

I saw that you put a path that would connect the path by then Olentangy River to Glen Echo’s Park View path. I completely agree that there should be a path

– going up the Glen Echo tributary through the culvert known as Hell’s Gate,
    – up and beyond the Calumet St. bridge,
    – through the culvert that once was the crossing-over-the-ravine of the C.O.C. & St. Louis Railroad,
    – up through the part of the ravine that used to be where Park View Dr. ran along,
    – through and beyond the Indianola Ave. bridge,
    – and meeting the Park View path at the western edge of the park itself.

I might suggest that the path be extended to the east as well. Perhaps there could be a path that climbs the hill on the north side of the ravine and follows the old alignment of the C.O.C. & St. Louis Railroad (that later became the CD&M Worthington Bypass) to join the Indianola Subdivision neighborhood at the east end of Kelso Rd or Crestview Rd.

Maybe a path can follow the Glen Echo tributary through the culvert at what is locally called “Ten Pin” and go under the Big Four Railroad tracks to the eastern extension of Glen Echo Ravine where the path would climbs up to meet Silver Dr.?

Of course, the path extensions are only suggestions. I am very interested in this vision of yours. Is there anything I can do to get involved?

• Hi Timothy,
      Sorry, I hadn’t seen this question. It’s been a long time since I posted this. This was work I did way back in 2010 or 2011 at the request of a group looking into buying the White Caste property in order to daylight the ravine. To my understanding, the property was so expensive it couldn’t go forward and the city had no interest in it.