G.O.A.L.S.

[ “G.O.A.L.S.” is a place where students write about how their planned, current, and future activities may fit into the Honors & Scholars G.O.A.L.S.: Global Awareness, Original Inquiry, Academic Enrichment, Leadership Development, and Service Engagement. For more information, go to: http://honors-scholars.osu.edu/e-portfolio. Delete these instructions and add your own post.

Global Awareness:

To pursue the goal of achieving global awareness, I will definitely keep up with the global news and push myself to engage in discussions about the topics while providing my insights on the situations. In addition, I may pursue in a study abroad opportunity or even choose to do work (such as shadowing a physician) in a different country during one of my summers.
Original Inquiry:

For this goal, I will be looking to do research, specifically in the field of medicine. Cancer research has always interested me and I would like to know the specifics on how cancer works so that I could perhaps one day provide my own bit of insight to the field. In addition, being a neuroscience major, I intend on taking a graduate level course on neuroimmunology (Neuroscience 7500), and possibly other graduate level courses as well (during my undergraduate years).
Academic Enrichment:

For this goal, I will challenge myself by taking courses that are not only of interest/relevant to my career, but also require deep knowledge of the material in order to succeed. I value knowledge a lot and I always strive to understand everything to the best of my ability. In terms of outside the classroom, I will be looking to incorporate my academic knowledge in some sort of medical related research, as stated earlier.
Leadership Development: 

I hope to be one of the captains at the Ohio State club tennis team. Doing so would allow me to be a leader in the sense that I would be running the practices and the events. In addition, I hope to possibly TA for a chemistry or biology class, which would require me to take responsibility for a certain group of students. Lastly, I also plan on being a leader by continuing to coach tennis. I’ve coached people of all ages and various levels, and it is my responsibility to make sure that they get the right kind of training, which is why being a tennis coach is a leadership role.
Service Engagement: 

In order to pursue this goal, I will volunteer, preferably for a hospital. Doing so will help me make the community better, and also help myself in developing a broader range of skills. I have already had volunteer experience at the JFK and Capital Health Hospital’s (both in New Jersey). Through my experience in these institutions, I have already had a wide range of experiences, ranging from working in the front desk to working in the neuroscience institute.