Artifacts

HOBY Ohio North Leadership Seminar 2016

My sophomore year of highschool, I had the privilege of attending the Hugh O’Brian Youth (HOBY) Ohio North Leadership Seminar and the HOBY World Leadership Congress. HOBY is a leadership program funded in 1958 that has been inspiring young volunteers who want to make a positive difference in their global society through effective and compassionate leadership skills. This program teaches and inspires young people to think critically for themselves and to appreciate a life dedicated to service and social change. During these events, student leaders are taken through several leadership building workshops, service programs, and attend sessions lead by keynote speakers in our society. For one of the service projects everyone was given a tile with various black markings to decorate however they wanted, and when every tile was placed together it showed the phrase ‘Know Your Why’. This was the overarching theme of my first HOBY seminar; learning and understanding why you do the things that you do. It displayed how individually we can’t always see the complete meaning of our achievements, but together we can reach a common goal. During my time at HOBY I discovered a love of volunteering, and the importance of giving back to the community. In doing so, I also realized that I wanted to help people in my future career. Hence my current pre-med major. I didn’t just discover what I wanted to do with my life, but also how to get there effectively. HOBY’s focus on leadership was not only in the form of a group, but also in personal drive and ways to best apply yourself based on your mindset and personality. HOBY taught me many things about myself, but what I believe to be the most important thing is how I can best use my strengths to help the world around me.