The Role of a Clinical Instructor

This week we are going to dive into the role of a clinical instructor. As we go through the course, I want you to start visualizing yourself in this role. When I was searching for course content for this module, I came across a common theme in the articles I was reading; most clinical instructors have not had any formal education about educational methodology and effective teaching strategies. Although that doesn’t shock me, I never really had thought of that before. That being said, I am determined for you all to leave this class with confidence and knowledge of teaching in the clinical/laboratory setting!

For this week’s blog post #1, discuss the various roles of the clinical instructor. The two article I posted as well as the readings have some differing ideas of the roles of clinical instructors, as most of the information out is related to the nursing profession. What do you feel the role(s) of a clinical dental hygiene instructors are? How will you fill those roles?

I also want you to get thinking about what the goals of dental hygiene clinical education are. Although there is obviously a broad, overarching goal (pass the clinical exam), what are the other goals of clinical education? How will the roles a clinical instructor plays influence the meeting of these educational goals?

Finally, imagine yourself in this role. What do you perceive your strengths will be (or are now)? What about weaknesses?

Please read the blog rubric before completing your posts! Can’t wait to hear what you all have to say!!

-Amy

arianadh