Year in Review

I came into college not thinking much of it. I was very successful in high school academic and athletic wise, so I thought college would not be that much different. But it was very much so different.

Although, where I am at right now compared to where I thought I would be are very similar. I hoped for above a 3.5 GPA, getting involved in clubs, and completing most of my pre-requisites for my major. And I can confidently say and look back that I did reach those goals. Along the way came great friends and connections as well.

The way I approached high school would not have kept me alive in college. I soon realized that I am going to have to put more work in, better my time management, and watch after my health. In high school I was able to study for tests or finals the day before and still do relativity well. I didn’t have to do much work at home if any and I enjoyed hanging out with friends and never put much thought into school, only when I needed to. If I didn’t change my work ethic I would not be where I am today. Within the first few weeks of classes, I saw how important finals were for your grade in the course. All courses were also semester length instead of yearly like high school, so I knew the material would seem to fly by. The events and speakers that OSU had available for freshman can be attributed to most of my success. I went to seminars on time management and stress and actually followed what they said to try. I schedule my work at the beginning of each week, understanding what I need to complete and by when. This proved to be the most  helpful thing I did all year.

I also got involved in my Stem Scholars program as the Social Co-Chair and I couldn’t have been happier when I received the role. I look forward to mentoring fellow scholars and creating an organization that follows the honors and scholars G.O.A.L.S. Overall I faced ups and downs but the adversity I faced over the year only made me a better student for myself and my fellow peers. I know that over this summer, I’m going to be counting down the days till I come back.