I am currently a Ph.D. candidate in the Integrated Systems Engineering Department at The Ohio State University working in Prof. Chen Chen‘s research group. I am specializing in optimization: simply, we use mathematics to make the best of anything.
- Ph.D., Industrial and Systems Engineering, The Ohio State University (2019 – present)
- Thesis: Mixed-Integer Exponential Conic Programming with Applications in Reliability Improvement
- M.S., Management Science, University of Waterloo, Canada (2019).
- Thesis: Robust Optimization for SCED in AC-HVDC Power Systems
- Advisors: Prof. Houra Mahmoudzadeh and Prof. Sahar Pirooz Azad.
- B.S., Industrial Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran (2016).
- Thesis: Reliability Improvement and Vulnerability Assessment of Transportation Networks
- Cutting Plane Algorithms for Mixed-Integr Nonlinear problems
- Polynomial Optimization
- Decision-Making under Uncertainty
- Robust Optimization
- Applications of Operations in Power Systems
For further details on my research activities see here.
Awards and Honors:
- 3rd place in the Annual Freestyle O.R. Supreme Expo Competition, 2022 INFORMS Annual Meeting (Link 1, Link 2).
- Fall Semester Scholarship, Office of International Affairs, The Ohio State University (September 2022).
- Spring Semester Scholarship, Office of International Affairs, The Ohio State University (April 2021).
- Spring Semester Scholarship, Department of Integrated Systems, The Ohio State University (April 2020).
- Bonder Doctoral Fellowship, Department of Integrated Systems, The Ohio State University (August 2019 – August 2020). The Bonder Fellowship Award was endowed by Dr. Seth Bonder. The fellowship is a competitive grant awarded to one entering Ph.D. student with the most outstanding academic records. The fellowship invests $41,073 toward full financial support (i.e., tuition, stipend, and health insurance) so the fellows may devote one year of full-time study to their Ph.D. program.
- Top 3 finalists of the 61st CORS Student Paper Competition (open category), Saskatoon, SK, Canada (May 2019).
A shorter version of my paper titled “Effective Budget of Uncertainty for Robust Power Dispatch Optimization” was selected as one of the top 3 finalists in the CORS competition, open category. This paper is based on my master’s thesis.
- 3rd place in 3-Minute Thesis (3-MT) competitions, Department of Management Sciences, University of Waterloo (February 2018). The Three Minute Thesis competition (3MT), is an annual competition held in over 200 universities worldwide, including the University of Waterloo. It challenges graduate students to present their research novelty and outcomes to non-specialist audiences in 3 minutes. I was awarded 3rd place by the faculty board of the Department of Management Sciences and judges of the competition at the University of Waterloo.
- Graduate Research Scholarship (GRS) and International Master’s Student Award (IMSA), Graduate Studies, University of Waterloo (April 2017 – April 2019)
- GRS and IMSA are competitive grants awarded to graduate students with outstanding academic records to pursue research-based graduate programs at the University of Waterloo. The awards provide the recipients with full financial support (i.e., tuition, stipend, and health insurance) during their graduate program.
- Graduate Scholarship Award, Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Tehran (August 2016).
- As a result of being ranked among the top 10% of undergraduate industrial engineering students, I was awarded a graduate scholarship by the University of Tehran and was offered the privilege of starting a master’s degree at the University of Tehran without taking the national university entrance exam.
- Bonyad-Hamiyan Scholarship awarded by the University of Tehran to the best undergraduate students of the year (May 2016).
- Top 3 Editors-in-Chief for the student journal of industrial engineering department (FANKAV), 8th HARKAT festival, Tehran, Iran (November 2015).
- October 2022: Awarded 3rd place in the 2022 Freestyle O.R. Supreme Competition held by INFORMS. See the full interview with ISE Department HERE.
- February 2022: My paper on “Effective Budget of Uncertainty for Classes of Robust Optimization” has been published in INFORMS Journal on Optimization.
- December 2021: Successfully passed Ph.D. Candidacy Examination.
- October 2021: Selected as an invited speaker and the committee for the 2nd Global Summit on Electronics & Electrical Engineering (GSEEE2022).
- September 2021: My paper titled “Effective Budget of Uncertainty for Robust Power Dispatch Optimization” has been accepted for publication in INFORMS Journal on Optimization. A shorter version of this paper was previously awarded as one of the top 3 finalists in the 2019 Canadian Operational Research Society (CORS) Student Paper Competition (Open Category).
- April 2021: Awarded Spring Semester Scholarship by the Office of International Affairs.
- October 2020: Elected as Treasurer, INFORMS Student Chapter at The Ohio State University.
- June 2020: Our paper on “Robust optimisation framework for SCED problem in mixed AC-HVDC power systems with wind uncertainty” is published in IET Renewable Power Generation.
- May 2020: Successfully passed my Ph.D. qualification exam.
- April 2020: Awarded departmental Spring Semester Scholarship.
- March 2020: Submitted a Journal paper on “Effective Budget of Uncertainty for Robust Power Dispatch Optimization”
- December 2019: Presented my course project on “Hidden Markov Models: Theory, Applications, and Future Improvements” at the ISE Research Day of the department. The project was completed in Prof. Chaty Xia‘s course (ISE 7300 – Stochastic Processes).
- December 2019: Elected as Vice-President, INFORMS Student Chapter at The Ohio State University.
- August 2019: Awarded Bonder Doctoral Fellowship by the Department of Integrated Systems Engineering of The Ohio State University.
- August 2019: Joined the Department of Integrated Systems Engineering of The Ohio State University.