G.O.A.L.S.

Along with being a member of the Mount Leadership Scholars Society at Ohio State, I am also a member of BuckeyeThon, Ohio State’s largest student run philanthropy. The organization’s overall goal is to end pediatric cancer, and we strive for this by raising awareness and funds for the children of the Hematology/Oncology/BMT Department of Columbus’ Nationwide Children’s Hospital. I feel that by participating in this organization I am not only displaying service engagement, but also leadership and development by being an active member on the Membership Selections and Education committee. In addition to BuckeyeThon, I am a volunteer with I Am My Brother’s Keeper, an organization that works with at risk boys of color in the Columbus community. As a volunteer with this program, I have served as a positive role model and developed meaningful relationships that will hopefully make an impact on the boys’ lives.

In the future, I plan to attend medical school and become a pediatrician. Because this rigorous academic path does not allow much flexibility in scheduling classes outside of the sciences, I want to travel abroad to enhance my global awareness and cultural experiences. As a medical professional, I will be treating patients of all backgrounds so it’s essential to understand and empathize with differing views. I have not previously had extensive interactions with cultures outside of my own, so studying or traveling abroad would give me the opportunity to witness different cultures and enhance my global awareness in order to become a better global citizen.

In addition to traveling abroad, I believe an important part of a college education is taking advantage of opportunities outside of the classroom. I hope get involved in some kind of research during my undergraduate years because I think by nurturing my original inquiry, I will be better prepared to pursue a career in medicine. Prerequisites for medical school are challenging enough, but I feel that by not pushing myself in advanced-level coursework, I am not getting the full benefits of my education. By constantly seeking academic enrichment, I will be led to success not only in the classroom but also in my future profession.