Artifacts

The first artifact that comes to mind is my cheerleading megaphone I had senior year of high school. Each varsity cheerleader gets to have a character painted onto their megaphone and, since I’m a huge fan, mine was Harry Potter. Receiving this megaphone was special to me because my junior year, I was one of only two girls in my grade to make the junior varsity team. So, we didn’t get megaphones with the rest of our class, and while it was a little disheartening, I knew that when I finally got my megaphone senior year, it would be worth it. The other girl ended up quitting, but that’s not my attitude toward situations. I met and created relationships with girls I wouldn’t have previously had the opportunity to interact with and I learned that dedication pays off. I had to work a little harder than other girls for a spot on varsity, but that work seems insignificant compared to the joy and satisfaction I felt at games senior year when I got to cheer along side my friends with my megaphone.

My megaphone also represents the hard work I put in to not only my academics but also my extracurricular activities. The fall of senior year I participated in two sports while maintaining a high GPA and to me my megaphone represents the end result of all of my hard work and dedication I put toward not only cheerleading, but toward all of my high school endeavors.

IMG_6566 (2)