Semester in Review

On the day before I moved into my dorm at OSU, my mind was all over the place. I was filled with all sorts of emotions and sensations that a typical first-year student would experience such as nervousness, excitement, and anxiousness. As my parents and I were driving to campus the following morning, I could not stop thinking about how much my life was going to change. It was my goal to come here to Ohio State, and I wanted to continue building off of this goal to accomplish even more goals later on. After much anticipation over the summer, it was finally time to get things started.

After signing in at the front desk in Bowen House, I went with my mother to locate my room. Once we got in, we didn’t hesitate to begin making it my very own. As the hours passed, I started to feel more at ease with what was going on around me. Everything seemed to be going very well, and I was ready to start a new chapter of my life that I always looked forward to. Eventually, the time had come to say goodbye to my parents. It was difficult seeing them leave, but I didn’t let this bother me since I had many different things to get ready for.

This all happened back in the middle of August, and here I am typing this post in late January. Without a doubt, I can say that these past few months have gone by extremely fast. As I look back, the experiences I’ve had up to this point have really made an impact on me. Meeting so many different people, exploring a brand new place, and living on my own are only a few examples of things that have changed me as a person. However, I understand that this is only the beginning of a whole series of experiences that I will have throughout my time here in Columbus.

Being a member of the Mount Leadership Society Scholars Program, I was taught about all the various things that “Mounties” do during their time with the program. One of these things was participating in an event called Mount Legacy Week, and I believe that my experience with this event will encourage me to become a further-developed leader and a better person overall. By giving back to the community, I know this will enhance my leadership abilities and inspire me to continue making a difference in any community in the future. In addition to Mount Legacy Week, other events such as helping with Buck-I-Frenzy and going on our retreat to Camp Akita have opened my eyes to how special this program really is. It has been said that college is your home away from home, but I feel that Mount is more than just a home. It is a family.

As my second semester begins, I hope to continue becoming the best person I can be. Each day is an opportunity for me to grow as an individual and change the world around me. In my eyes, the journey through life can be seen as a roller coaster. We all have our ups and downs, but we must remember to enjoy the ride. It is true that I have had my ups and downs during my time at OSU so far, but there is no doubt that this is a ride I will always enjoy since I get to experience it with many other individuals who want to leave an impact on our world just like I do.