Year One: Complete

Second semester could not have been more different from the first. This year, I was reminded of how quickly things can change. I am not someone who deals with change very well, but at least I know that. Right? The point is if you had asked me if I thought I would have a completely different set of friends or if I would have added a minor in Biomedical Engineering, I would say no. But those things are true. I really don’t speak to my roommates or original friends and I have contemplated changing my major but, settled for adding a minor. Things have certainly not gone as planned but, that’s life.

I have new friends which is good! I love my friends, but I no longer have these wild plans to live with them junior and senior year or crazy plans to road-trip across the country to visit them like I once had. Although, I think that is a good thing. Before, my friendships were not based in reality; rather, they were based in crazy dreams with no real goal or endpoint. I had high school relationships and I was in college. Second semester showed me that I wanted to be grown up and be more responsible. I want to surround myself with motivated, serious people, who also know how to have fun because we are in college and not an old folks home for goodness sake.

I added a minor! So that’s fun! I really thought about switching my major this semester but, ultimately it didn’t make sense. I still want to go to graduate school for veterinary medicine and would be an undergrad for what seemed like forever if I tried to switch majors and get all my pre-requisites for vet school. Thus, I settled for a minor in Biomedical Engineering! I am beyond excited and really want to look into getting involved in research in the fall, once back in Columbus.

Overall college has been everything I expected and more I could have never imagined. College really is a place where you learn who you are. I have realized what I want out of the relationships I form and what I want academically and that grade forgiveness is your friend and you should NOT be ashamed to use it. I think Ohio State has more to offer than I ever thought and I have to go out and grab those opportunities by the horns because they aren’t always going to be there.