Volunteer/ Service Acts

The first place I volunteered at was at The Crews Stadium for the Special Olympics Buddy Walk from 11-3 on September 30th. I learned about this organization from the Involvement fair and a couple pieces of background information about this organization is that they spread awareness about Special Olympics around the Columbus area. The service I provided at the Buddy Walk was supervising multiple inflatables and making sure that no one got hurt while using the inflatables. What I have learned about myself as a result of this service is that I am developing soft skills such as authenticity by being in contact with other individuals. Volunteering has impacted me as a leader by experimenting and trying new things. I have never volunteered at a buddy walk simply because I never had one back in my hometown. This gave me the opportunity to learn and see what the Buddy Walk was all about. Because of service learning, I am confident and feel better about the person I am going to become in the future.

The second place I volunteered at was The Pack Shack: Feed the Funnel. Feed the Funnel was from 10:30pm-1am at Jesse Owens South. The Pack Shack’s: Feed the Funnel donates food to people in Ohio who are food insecure. Feed the Funnel wanted the volunteers to pack 100,000 meals in two hours. The service I provided was making and packaging microwavable vegetable meals into boxes. 36 meals would go into each box. What I have learned about myself as a result of my service is that I am making an impact on others based on the little things I do. Volunteering has impacted me as a leader by getting out of my comfort zone by working with new people and challenging myself to try something different. Because of service learning, I am making a difference within my community. https://ohiounion.osu.edu/events.aspx/2018/10/4/62394/-feed-the-funnel-community-service-project?a=2

The third place I volunteered was at the Columbus Marathon from 7am-12pm. I learned about the Marathon from the weekly emails we receive from Abigail. The service I provided at the marathon was handing out water and Gatorade to the runners as they were passing by. What I have learned about myself as a result of this service is that I can withstand the cold. It was around 30 degrees outside when we first started and I was freezing but I was not going to give up. Even though my hands and feet got numb a couple of times, I stuck through it until the end and I was very proud of myself. Volunteering has impacted myself as a leader by building skills to become a more rounded person. Because of service learning, I am developing new skills, making newfound friends, and getting to know the community around me. http://www.columbusmarathon.com/