About Me

My name is Zachary Dancoes and I am a first year student at The Ohio State University pursuing a mechanical engineering degree and an economics minor. I am on the Club Gymnastics team and I have been training for 14 years and competing for 12 years. My ultimate gymnastics goal is to walk-on within the next couple years and make the NCAA Men’s Gymnastics Team at Ohio State and compete at least one event for the team at one of the competitions during the year. My passions stem outside the classroom but I also thoroughly enjoy learning compelling material inside the classroom. Not only does the topic of economics interest me, but engineering as a whole, embodies the idea of developing a certain type of mindset, an ideal model for generating success in the future. I uphold a engaged role with my commitment to the Humanitarian Engineering Scholars program and am eager to further advance my engineering education and my academic career at Ohio State and beyond. I am looking to become involved in engineering internship opportunities and co-ops to increase my exposure and experience in the field of engineering. I expect to maximize my productivity throughout my college career and potentially study abroad if I get the opportunity. I plan to keep my future options open and am trying to learn as much as I can through my college experience.

After taking the Strengths Finder Assessment, there were 5 strengths that were highlighted that best reflect myself, who I am and where I excel. My greatest strength was Achiever, followed by Analytical, Futuristic, Discipline and Competition. I am able to explicitly see and dissect how each of these strengths are evident in my life. As an achiever, I use this motive as a means to mark my progress and growth with the feats I complete. The lens I see through is with the eyes of motivation rooted in achievement and accomplishment. The next theme and strength of being analytical is derived from the way I think, especially as an engineer. Throughout my interactions with other people, I like when others (including myself) support their claims with substantial, convincing evidence. The following strength is how I value and apply the idea of being futuristic. This way of thinking stems from my dreams for living in the future and how I can be successful with all that I do. The strength of Discipline heavily resonates with me and how I conduct myself in the sense that it is one of the most powerful traits that can be positively implemented to help many people. I have found enacting this throughout my childhood and focus to continue to use it in the future. The last strength that was connected to my by means of the CliftonStrengths Assessment is competition. I have found that a lot of my life has been based around the idea of positive and supportive competition, catalyzing the pursuit of greater success constantly striving to better myself and support the people around me.